When summer comes I love having this salad- it’s so crisp, so fresh and so summery. I remember first time I tried it was years ago- I found it in Nigella’s book with summer recipes and loved it. Over the years I experimented a bit adding different herbs and vinagrettes. I love it with mint, cilantro/coriander and with lemon verbena. Sometimes I have it just with lime juice mixed with olive but my favourite is with thick plum vinegar mixed with lime juice.
Watermelon feta salad
- 1 small seedles watermelon
- 100 g good feta cheese
- 1 jar of pitted black olives
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced with a mandoline
- bunch of mint
- bunch of cilantro
- 1/3 cup thick plum vinegar
- juice of 2 limes
- 3T olive oil
- Skin and cut watermelon into small cubes
- Put onion slices in juice of one lime. Let sit for 20 minutes. It will soften the onion and make it easier for digestion.
- Mix olive oil, plum vinegar and juice of other lime.
- In a bowl mix watermelon cubes, crumbled feta, onion, olives, mint and cilantro and gently mix with vinagrette. Chill in the fridge for 20 minutes before serving.